Friday 20 February 2009

MyVeggieHaven - "Veggie patch to kitchen in less than 20 paces"

Infact I can get from kitchen door to the farthest reaches of my garden in about 20 paces! Yes it is fairly small! So the challenge I have set myself is to design a productive and attractive garden with some fruit and veggie growing space. I will be finding out just how productive the kitchen-garden beds can be, only totalling about 12 square metres! I have tried to fit in more growing space, but one runs into problems like restricted access and a sharp downturn in aesthetics and suchlike. To use space as effectively as possible I will be including fruit cordons and hanging baskets for strawberries and will use other container growing ideas. I will also use rainwater collection from the greenhouse and garage roof for watering in dry weather.

Natural granite setts in a circular design will form a major feature on the ground and this area will be used for additional seating. It is some years since I grew veggies and so I am really looking forward to getting started and have been re-reading my old RHS course notes and various books. I'll be using organic methods and will be including a wide range of plants to encourage a mini eco-system and biodiversity. I may even include a bee-hive if there is space.

No comments:

Post a Comment